Author Topic: Display?  (Read 2263 times)

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Display?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
Thats a good point @rabidz7 if you wish to use to use CRT, I personally don't but I see the uses of a good CRT monitor :)

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
Perhaps the chassis manufacturer could make two cases: one for a 16:9 screens and one for a 4:3 screens. The rest of the laptop could be exactly the same. If this laptop has a screen wider than 16:10, it will be a deal-breaker for me. 4:3 is the best AR for laptops, period.

jgospodaric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:29 PM »
Hi,

what about 13,3'' display - first you need to gain attention from professionals and students and both require portability and ease of usage in limited space e.g. table in caffe bar, server room, school desk, lerning room, etc.? In this case 1920x1080 is more than enough - again who is in first target group?

4:3 is great as we old schools got used to it, but it's past and will never come back in reasonable price another plus for 16:9(10) is more natural to human eyes  :o Also new kids are not familiar with 4:3, because from birth they are surrounded with 16:9.

If there will be only one port then mini DisplayPort is must to have! If there is physical and financial space then HDMI + mini DisplayPort is nice to have - but I will drop this solution. From my point of view mini DisplayPort is enought you can alwaya attach miniDP to HDMI adapter but wih miniDP you have option for multiple displays daisy chaining.

One more propositions is to go absolutely  with non glossy display.

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »
Hi,

what about 13,3'' display - first you need to gain attention from professionals and students and both require portability and ease of usage in limited space e.g. table in caffe bar, server room, school desk, lerning room, etc.? In this case 1920x1080 is more than enough - again who is in first target group?

4:3 is great as we old schools got used to it, but it's past and will never come back in reasonable price another plus for 16:9(10) is more natural to human eyes  :o Also new kids are not familiar with 4:3, because from birth they are surrounded with 16:9.

If there will be only one port then mini DisplayPort is must to have! If there is physical and financial space then HDMI + mini DisplayPort is nice to have - but I will drop this solution. From my point of view mini DisplayPort is enought you can alwaya attach miniDP to HDMI adapter but wih miniDP you have option for multiple displays daisy chaining.

One more propositions is to go absolutely  with non glossy display.
The screen should be glossy. The output should be DVI-I. The screen must not be 16:9. 16:9 will be a dealbreaker. 16:10 would be Ok, but I'd prefer 4:3.

jgospodaric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
DVI-I adapters to e.g. hdmi or display port are rare and hard to get. VESA group is more open to open source community. If you put mini DisplayPortyou can easly get miniDP to DVI-I adapter.

Why not glossy -  I don't like to see my self in the mirror :D

I agree 16:10 is  better then 16:9 but its rare . On 16:9/10 you can put two windows split horizontally (total 160 chars)  on 4:3 that is not so good.

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »
If you put mini DisplayPortyou can easly get miniDP to DVI-I adapter.

YOU CANNOT USE THOSE ADAPTERS WITH ANY QUALITY MONITOR. They ONLY SUPPORT TINY RESOLUTIONS AND REFRESH RATES. READ THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING.

Oh, and your other point is dead wrong, too.
Here's some DVI to HDMI cords on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+to+hdmi

And the DVI to DP cords:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+to+DP&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Advi+to+DP

Again, CONSIDER READING before posting.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »
If you put mini DisplayPortyou can easly get miniDP to DVI-I adapter.

YOU CANNOT USE THOSE ADAPTERS WITH ANY QUALITY MONITOR. They ONLY SUPPORT TINY RESOLUTIONS AND REFRESH RATES. READ THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING.

Oh, and your other point is dead wrong, too.
Here's some DVI to HDMI cords on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+to+hdmi

And the DVI to DP cords:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+to+DP&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Advi+to+DP

Again, CONSIDER READING before posting.

You are not a moderator here, do ease up that attidude please.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:20 AM »
I would prefer DisplayPort, because it's the most modern connector, second place HDMI.

Don't hit me, just a opinion :-)

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
I think min displayport would be the best option since it could slim the notebook maybe? or maybe even thunderbolt 3 could be an option if we would be ready to pay for that.

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
mDP would make sense for most LCDs. But because CRT use is important for many people, VGA out with a strong DAC is extremely important. Perhaps a DAC with 5th order filters, like old Matrox GPUs. Most DACs on modern systems suck bad. Something capable of clean 400MHz with clarity comparable to an AMD 7970 would be OK. Clarity comparable to a Matrox Parahelia would be incredible.

I'd like to add that a 16:9 screen would likely be a deal-breaker for me. I would not mind 16:10, but I prefer 3:2 and 4:3.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:16:26 PM by rabidz7 »

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
I see some people lobbying for old school style display while others are considering a more modern display. To satisfy all people ee should be able to find a middle road? Maybe a more modern display on the notebook itself and a VGA port on the side (althoigh i personally would find it clunky) would be a proper solution?

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
What are the advantage of a CRT display?
I like old school, 4:3 if I have a choice. But the aspect ratio isn't that important for me

mpasteven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
I am personally fine with the 1440x960 display as it is on the PowerBook G4 (A1138, PowerBook5,8). I prefer glossy though as the image appears sharper and I can use my display as a mirror if needed to see what is behind me. A DVI connector would be the best of both worlds as you could use analog VGA and then use a digital adapter if required.

I do use a 4:3 1024x768 display for a desktop, however I prefer the screen as it is on the PowerBook G4 since there is more screen real estate which can be used for displaying wider lines of code without having microsized fonts.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
The only 4:3 notebooks I'm aware of are Panasonic ones.
16:9 are more ordinary these days. Maybe cheaper to get?

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:33:37 PM by Carlos »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19