Author Topic: Powerbook G4 chasis  (Read 439 times)

LarsPPC

• View Profile
Powerbook G4 chasis
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:24 AM »
Hey guys,
I've just come up with an idea. What about designing the mobo the way that it could fit into 15" Powerbook G4 chassis? Simply reusing everything, beginning with chassis itself, ending up with a touchpad, keyboard and LCD screen?

This solution could lower the production cost for the first period of sales, 'till the right manufacturer of the chassis would be found.

I personally would love to just swap the mobo with my old Powerbook G4, giving it a new life. Moreover, it would be environmental friendly, so the product could be advertised that way.

What do you think guys?

Greetings from Poland,
Lars

asnowmanhowsad

• View Profile
Re: Powerbook G4 chasis
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 04:39:46 AM »
Hey guys,
I've just come up with an idea. What about designing the mobo the way that it could fit into 15" Powerbook G4 chassis? Simply reusing everything, beginning with chassis itself, ending up with a touchpad, keyboard and LCD screen?

This solution could lower the production cost for the first period of sales, 'till the right manufacturer of the chassis would be found.

I personally would love to just swap the mobo with my old Powerbook G4, giving it a new life. Moreover, it would be environmental friendly, so the product could be advertised that way.

What do you think guys?

Greetings from Poland,
Lars

That's a horrible idea. I mean, sure it's a nice chassis, but with every one sold a PowerBook would die. It's not like it's just some run of the mill x86 shitbox.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »
It's impossible and it doesn't make sense. You can't sell a "Apple brand" notebook ...
You could only sell a mainboard that fits into the Powerbook case, but the customer has to put it into the case by it's own.
It's a nightmare.

It's a crackpot idea.

Shiunbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »
Adding to all...

Also, how do you provide our notebook to people who don't have a PowerBook chassis?

Also, I'd love to get an Aluminum PowerBook, they remain capable machines, and I'd hate to tear a working one apart. =)

carguyty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:12:45 AM »
It's impossible and it doesn't make sense. It's a crackpot idea.
That's a horrible idea.

Come on, gentlemen. We are all here to see this project get off the ground and make a huge dynamically positive change in the world of general computing.

Lars, I'm sorry, and I apologize on behalf of Carlos and asnomanhowsad for failing to provide you with adequate constructive criticism. We all appreciate any recommendations regarding the final design of any part of this. We are all on the same team, and your input is always welcome.

Some of the things you mentioned (chassis itself, ending up with a touchpad, keyboard and LCD screen) are already part of the ODM designs that are being considered. There is a nearly endless selection of designs in every price point. Reusing an existing design such as the PowerBook G4 is a wonderful idea for a venture further down the line. Many people love the feel and even the smell of these formidable notebooks, but they are only similar to this project in spirit at this point. It's probably a good idea to keep collecting vintage Macintosh and let it be its own thing. All limitations aside, there's always that scary thought that we may be treading on somebody else's intellectual property.

Mr. Amat will certainly consider all sorts of things related to design. With the main logic still incomplete, there needs to be a finite and cemented vision for things like I/O as well as how the user's experience is supposed to be. If you have interest in case development, there are plenty of ways to focus on single elements like hinges or touchpad or even battery design. If you have interest in using an existing design, may I recommend waiting till the main logic is complete (after all the design will be open for all to see) and adapting it for use in another case like was suggested by Carlos. An aftermarket kit aimed directly at a single, mainstream line of notebooks may have a market. But that brings with it some very heavy design concerns, also.

Keep making suggestions that you feel will truly help advance the campaign of putting PowerPC back on desks where it belongs. Keep thinking that recycling old machines and old ideas will be beneficial to society. We all think a bit differently. Seeing ideas in a forum like this will spark the process inside somebody to make huge changes.

We will be waiting eagerly and civilly for whatever you think up next. ;)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:08:07 AM by carguyty »

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »
It's impossible and it doesn't make sense. You can't sell a "Apple brand" notebook ...
You could only sell a mainboard that fits into the Powerbook case, but the customer has to put it into the case by it's own.
It's a nightmare.

It's a crackpot idea.

Easy on the language please.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
Sorry, I don't want to be rude.
And "crackpot idea" was meant to be funny not bad / depreciating.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19