Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
news from the team / PowerPC Notebook Block Diagram done!
« Last post by deuteros on November 04, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Three months have passed since the kick-off of our campaign, and it is now time to share a status update.

We reached the amount of €7100 thanks to more than one hundred donors that contributed, in some cases with more than one donation. We are thinking about how to boost the donations to achieve the €12600 final goal. We have seen that a good number of donors are new followers of the project, so it seems that our communication activities successfully attracted new people. We now want to go even further, so we kindly ask everyone to share more and more our project, for example supporting its advertisement in online tech magazines and forums, websites and other media. To promote these activities, the project was presented last week end at two Linux Day events in Italy, one in Milan by Roberto I. and one in Bolzano/Bozen by Diego M. The very same week-end ACube advertised the project at the very successful Amiga32 event in Neuss (Germany) and many people have shown their interest. On November 11th, Philippe F. will give a presentation at the Alchimie 12 event in Tain l’Hermitage (France).

Do you want the electrical schematics to be ready by Christmas?
The solution is only one: prepare yourself for an active contribution, either by donating, and by involving more people!
PowerPC Notebook block diagram

PowerPC Notebook block diagram

Regarding the work in progress, ACube is working on the electrical schematics design and sent an early block diagram that was extensively discussed with our hardware core team of volunteers. After this discussion, in particular regarding an NDA component, we have arrived to a final version agreed by both sides: almost all components are identified. We are including PowerPC Notebook block diagram a block diagram of our PowerPC Notebook motherboard (without integrated circuit names). We will disclose all integrated circuit names when we will reach the required amount of donations to complete the electrical schematic, as agreed with ACube. Then, we will publish design files when a design phase is completely finished and tending to be error-free and fault-free. Before that, anyone wanting to actively collaborate in the design review can join and participate in our project and association.

In a nutshell, we are working hard to promote the campaign, and ACube is on track to accomplish phase one of the project. We see the light at the end of the tunnel! Keep it up!

Lastly we want to remember the importance of small recurrent donations. The possibility of having many people helping with a small amount of money monthly is very interesting for us as this will guarantee the constant work of the hardware designer.
Suggestions / Re: M2 or Sata?
« Last post by Casper on November 03, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
M.2 and SATA are not comparable technologies.

M.2 is a port design that can leverage both SATA 3 and NVMe storage.
I guess you meant SATA 3 or NVMe. M.2 would be good to use anyhow as it saves a lot of space compared to 2.5" SSD's.
SATA SSD's are quite cost-effective, NMVe is quite a bit faster, but for now, much more expensive.
I think it's possible to implement M.2 with AHCI backwards compatibility so one can mount both SATA 3 and NVMe M.2 SSD's.
Suggestions / Re: M2 or Sata?
« Last post by nemesis on October 26, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »
M.2 would be nice but to be honest i think it would up the cost above what may be aimed. So i would be happy with SATA 6.0 gbps.
Suggestions / M2 or Sata?
« Last post by frank.woo on October 22, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
Should the laptop support M2 storage devices or SATA ones?

What is the opinion of everyone here?
General Discussion / Re: Talos™ Secure Workstation PowerPC Workstation Motherbord
« Last post by Carlos on August 23, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
Yes, but don't forget the 3U HSF Assembly for POWER9 CPUs for 110$ :)
Anyway, 420$ for the latest and greatest CPU money can buy :o
General Discussion / Re: Talos™ Secure Workstation PowerPC Workstation Motherbord
« Last post by Casper on August 10, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »
Very good pricing, IMO. At the moment, the site seems to be down?

Especially the CPU, it's only 310$. The site is just quite slow. If you'll load enough, you'll get through.
« Last post by Carlos on August 09, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
Talos™ II Pre-Orders Now Open!

Very good pricing, IMO. At the moment, the site seems to be down?
Gnu/Linux Distros / MATE PowerPC Remix
« Last post by Casper on July 27, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »
It seems A-EON Technology made their own Linux distro with MATE since Ubuntu officially dropped PowerPC in Ubuntu 17.04. Maybe this is something that could be of use to us as well?
Media production to comunicate the project / Re: Let's vote for the name
« Last post by deuteros on July 20, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
I would like to add PowerNotebook :)

...but I don't know if we are in time for this option and we are using this as a hashtag in Twitter, maybe is not fair play
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10