Author Topic: Switch to non upgreadable RAM, SDD and GPU  (Read 519 times)

jgospodaric

• View Profile
Switch to non upgreadable RAM, SDD and GPU
« on: October 27, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »
Is maybe a better solution to provide solution with just enough RAM, HDD and GPU. From my experience laptop I bought I never upgraded because price for upgrade was to much part of instead buying a new laptop. Maybe to go with more RAM, SDD and GPU. Price of slots is much more then price of soldering component to MB.

e.g. to go with minimum non upgradable 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and dedicated nVidia GeForce 940M 2GB.

rabidz7

• View Profile
Re: Switch to non upgreadable RAM, SDD and GPU
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
Just quit. All of your suggestions are garbage. Please go buy a HP or a Dell and stay out of PowerPC hardware.

duga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Is maybe a better solution to provide solution with just enough RAM, HDD and GPU. From my experience laptop I bought I never upgraded because price for upgrade was to much part of instead buying a new laptop. Maybe to go with more RAM, SDD and GPU. Price of slots is much more then price of soldering component to MB.

e.g. to go with minimum non upgradable 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and dedicated nVidia GeForce 940M 2GB.

Non upgradeable SSD? No.

About RAM and graphics I'm fine with a fixed solution.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »
Just quit. All of your suggestions are garbage. Please go buy a HP or a Dell and stay out of PowerPC hardware.

This is not ok behavior, please be more understanding in the future. We do not encourage elitism, everyone is welcome here who are interested in this project.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:38:45 PM by nemesis »

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »
Soldered RAM i dont have a problem with. Upgradable you be nicer tho and worth paying a bit extra for.
GPU i  would definetly not go with Nvidia since it would exclude alot of other OSes for example MorphOS.
The hardrive must be replacable if it crashes it must be able to be swtiched or maybe upgraded to a better drive even

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 12:11:55 AM »
I would like to see a upgradable notebook.
If it's easier / cheaper to build non-upgradable is also okay.

For the first PowerPC notebook, the focus should be on the price.

mpasteven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
I would not mine a soldered in AMD GPU, although one with a socket would be nice in a way.

As for RAM and storage, I am completely against them being soldered in. If the RAM and/or SSD fails, if you cannot replace it you essentially have a paper weight and/or a permanent loss of a USB port.

Also a fixed 128GiB SSD might not be enough, some users might want instead a 2TiB HDD. Then say if 2TiB SSDs that are very price affordable come out in a few years, you would regret it because you would never be able to actually use it unless you externally used it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19