Author Topic: Conformity marking  (Read 323 times)

stefano.t

• View Profile
Conformity marking
« on: October 29, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »
Hi all,

In order to produce and distribute PowerPC notebook in various countries, conformity declaration must applied:
Has anyone considered to perform conformity tests in a thirdy part laboratory (very expensive, more than 20k euro), or do we simply apply the self certification?
Honestly speaking, I don't know if a notebook can be self-certified; if anyone has access to marking requirements, please add the necessary informations.

Stefano

FreddyB

• View Profile
Re: Conformity marking
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
I believe that in the EU, provided that whatever you manufacture contains only parts which are CE marked, the equipment is regarded as being CE marked.
This seems to be the case for electrical control panels, anyway

stefano.t

• View Profile
Re: Conformity marking
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
Hi Freddy,

thanks for your contribution. You're partially right, because CE mark inheritance is valid only for indipendent devices connected together, but isn't valid for single components or module. (I'm quite sure this rule is valid also for FCC, but I have yo check).

Let's take some examples:
  • If you sell a CE compliant external AC-DC adapter with your CE notebook, all package is CE compliant
  • If you use a CE compliant internal AC-DC adpter for your desktop PC, inheritance is still valid, because you're using an indipendent device
  • If you integrate an AC-DC adapter in your motherboard, CE inheritance of components isn't valid

Another example, about WiFi Module:
  • If you use a CE WiFi USB dongle, no problem
  • If you add to your motherboard a CE compliant WiFi module like this one:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12568
    you loose inheritance because you can't guarantee the whole board respects all Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) rules, so you have perform some additional test to certify your board.
    Let me say that using certified module for EMC sensible devices (like radio, AC converters, etc), the whole board certification is easier, because some (but not all) of the certication tests can be skipped, so this is my optimal solution.

I hope I've been useful.

Stefano

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19