Author Topic: Trackpoint?  (Read 308 times)

illwieckz

• View Profile
Trackpoint?
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »
Hi, I can't imagine myself buying a laptop without a trackpoint! The trackpoint is an awesome input, and a trackpad is just something that can never substitute a trackpoint for people who have been intiated to a trackpoint. I guess I'm not the only one in this world who need a trackpoint, I guess most of Thinkpad owners and most of professional consumers from other brands can't imagine buying a laptop without a trackpoint. ;D

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trackpoint?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
Nice to have, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

mpasteven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »
Trackpoint is patented by IBM, although rumor has it the patents expire in 2016. Regardless, before they expire a patent license would be required even very close to their expiration.

Trackpoints are rather nice though, but I would also want a touchpad also since both can be very handy for specific situations.

Amitari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
Trackpoint is patented by IBM
Novena has a Trackpoint, it simply uses spare Thinkpad keyboards to get around that problem.

bryceadamprescott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:16:46 AM »
Here is another laptop project, with different goals, that has a trackpoint-ish thing: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/.
I could swear that back in the 90s, IBM's competitors had something like a trackpoint before touchpads became the norm. I don't think having a red dot that moves a mouse would cause any legal trouble; the issue is probably the name and the exact specs itself.

I see the difficult part being sourcing the keyboards with this built in. The Novena got around it by using a wireless ThinkPad keyboard but something else would be more ideal. Maybe  choosing a spare ThinkPad keyboard part that is highly available would work. The problem with doing anything like that is that the laptop would need a redesign if the parts ever become sparse. Producing a custom keyboard with a red dot would probably be expensive.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19