Author Topic: Sound/audio card with memory  (Read 240 times)

sossego

• View Profile
Sound/audio card with memory
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »
We could use something similar to the Creative Labs X-Fi chipset. You're looking at sixty-four megabytes for the standard five minute raw audio. If one was to have sixteen channels then 256 megabytes would need to be used/available.

cyrano

• View Profile
Re: Sound/audio card with memory
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
Why would you want/need that much memory in an audio interface? If it is for storing soundfonts, that's a minority application. It seems hardly fair making everyone pay for a feature only few will use. Or is there an application I'm not seeing?

And please, please, stay away from Creative chipsets. It's about the worse you can get on the market. It gets badly out of sync after minutes. Sound wise, it's fairly OK, but compatibility with anything except Windows is questionable.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
If Creative chipsets are a nightmare aside of Windows, what chipset would you prefer?
I really have no clue about sound chipsets. Only asking.

cyrano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
One with a good (low) price and low power use. It's only providing basic 2 channel I/O after all.

C-media, perhaps, as this is widely supported on every OS I can think of?

mpasteven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 01:43:07 AM »
Creative chipsets.

Creative has had a long monopolative grip on the computer sound market for quite some time. In the past, Creative was pretty good but today it is not so much anymore.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19