Author Topic: MorphOS  (Read 2570 times)

Raffaele_Megabyte

• View Profile
MorphOS
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
MorphOS is a PPC based microkernel operating system.

On top of Quark Microkernel runs an AmigaOS-like API environment to provide an immediate ease-of-use ambience for the user, instead of building from scratch a new API of its own that could require years to develop for a small team.

MorphOS is based on sandbox environments.
Actually two boxes are active:

- QBox enviroment laying underneath supporting all modern OS features, and contains Quark Kernel running the hardware... But not all features are active (like MMU) at this very moment as they need API of their own (API that are not yet developed).

- ABox environment, that features API taken from AmigaOS 3.1 with PPC support and mimics AmigaOS with a new GUI interface called Ambient, based on MUI (Magical User Interface).

ABox has the control of the computers MorphOS has been installed to, actually, and so it is the only one accessible to users at this moment, and thus features how MorphOS appears to public.

MorphOS is commercial product.

Beta version for Amiga Classic Computers is free.

MorphOS upto 1.4.5 is free for those who purchased Pegasos I and II computer motherboards now out of production.

Actual version runs on Pegasos computers, Efika mini motherboards and a various number of Macintosh PPC computers G4 and G5 equipped with ATI graphic chips.

MorphOS can be downloaded free from its site and works with no limitations for a demo time of 30 minutes. Then you have to reboot.

http://www.morphos-team.net/downloads

License key costs 49 euro for owners of Efika machines.
79 euro for Pegasos and Macintosh computers.
111 euro is the cost for Powerbook owners.

Since version 2.0 you purchase lincense key and all updates are free. This could be end with version 4.0.

Since 2005 it is an almost 10 years policy of purchase OS once, then download all updates free of any charge.

This is more than offered by any other Operating Systems marketing services.

That's all for the minimal info.

All other informations are available online.

As long as Pegasos machines and Mac PPC are out of production since years we MorphOS users are looking with interest to new PPC motherboards and suggest MorphOS Team, the developes, to support it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:41:11 AM by Raffaele_Megabyte »
"Think" Bill Gates. "Think different" Steve Jobs.

Stop blabber thinking and Enjoy computing. You are on Amiga!

In_Correct

• View Profile
Re: MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:22:26 AM »
My very detailed essay why this laptop must support MorphOS:

MorphOS is indirectly related to Commodore Amiga. Commodore Amiga were innovative computers. Unfortunately the other competition caught up and original company later declared bankrupcy. As a result, there have been no laptops available for this operating system.

Commodores almost never made any portable computers. Most were keyboard-computers which could connect to a monitor or sometimes television. They are somewhat portable. The closest thing to a laptop, and the only all-in-one portable computers are:

The Commodore SX-64 is a portable computer.
The Commodore LCD is another portable computer, although it was an unreleased prototype.
There exists a Commodore 64 Laptop, but I think this is an aftermarket release.

There have been very few laptops since then, unless you count some Commodore or Amiga branded computer with Windows or Linux installed onto it.

There have been AROS (spun off from AmigaOS) supported laptops, I think this has happened several years ago. I am unfamiliar which ones and when. Later (I think in 2011) there is the AspireOS.

MorphOS released to the PowerBook G4 summer 2012.
MorphOS released to the iBook G4 summer 2013.
These three examples are the closest things to a revised and updated Commodore Amiga Laptop.

Regarding MorphOS, these laptops are old Apple computers. Also, these G4 computers are not made any more. Additionally, MorphOS does not support ANY computer in production. Eventually they could support the SAM computer. They are currently in production but these are desktops. MorphOS needs a laptop currently in production also. Availability of new computers will help because eventually the old computers might malfunction with no new parts made to repair them.

Anybody that likes Commodore Amiga will like MorphOS on this laptop.
Anybody that likes fast operating systems will like MorphOS on this laptop.

In future they will release MorphOS for a different ISA but for now I really hope MorphOS can be released for a PowerPC Laptop or PowerPC Notebook.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:31:44 AM by In_Correct »

Raffaele_Megabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Yes. As I said Morphos shares the Amiga API but most important thing is that it is based on its own microkernel, fast, modern, efficient and if MorphOS Team decide of developing API of its own, MOS could get rid in any moment of Amiga legacy that scares people who were not Amiga users in the past, and then became an OS of its own.
This is its best feature. It can trasform itself and be adapted to became suitable for any family of users: Amiga users, Linux users, Macintosh users.
Give it a platform of reference as a new PPC laptop, and it could evolve to match users requirements.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »
MorphOS is one of my favorite OSes and i really hope it will get a port in time.

Amigo65

• I like Amigas, and her clones. and like MorpOS too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »
Hi, I have a Powerbook v.5.8 and I was buy licence key. Now I am finding some light version for dualboot. That is what I am here.
And sory for my english.
Powerbook v.5.8 - G4/1.67GHz, MOS 3.9 reg.
Asus Prime Zenbook UX32VD, Ubuntu 14.04,
DooGee F5, Android 5.1

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
Hi, I have a Powerbook v.5.8 and I was buy licence key. Now I am finding some light version for dualboot. That is what I am here.
And sory for my english.

I am waiting for SAM460ex port to try it, looking forward to it. Fast and efficient OS, however major (CURRENT!) problem might be the
graphic card support - latest development seems to be Radeon X1300 driver and nVIDIA support is nowhere planned (same is with nVIDIA and AmigaOS 4, just a faster progress is made on RadeonHD cards).  We ll see state of MorphOS at time of laptop availiability, since its in continious development.

Raffaele_Megabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »
AFAIK MorphOS is still not available for SAM 440/460.

And an old MacMini PPC Silent Upgrade PPC clocked at 1.5 Ghz costs around only 100/150 euro circa and MacMinis have Wifi and Bluetooth. It deserves a try with MorphOS.

(Also MorphOS support bluetooth mouse and keyboards on MacMinis even if this feature is undocumented)

@Amigo65: Best way to dualboot MacOSX and MorphOS is to buy external USB2+Firewire HardDisk Case Enclosure and put MacOS on it.

Macminis and Powerbook laptops can boot from Firewire too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:51:17 PM by Raffaele_Megabyte »

duga

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:57:42 PM »
Morphos 3.8 is now available for Sam460.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
MorphOS ported to SAM460 is indeed good news and hope indeed that it will get ported to this notebook.

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
MorphOS ported to SAM460 is indeed good news and hope indeed that it will get ported to this notebook.

More important, it is announced (and even showed up in picture) for AmigaOne x5000 which
should have a similar CPU as netbook.

http://roschmyr.gmxhome.de/wtf.jpg

Amigo65

• I like Amigas, and her clones. and like MorpOS too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »

@Amigo65: Best way to dualboot MacOSX and MorphOS is to buy external USB2+Firewire HardDisk Case Enclosure and put MacOS on it.

Macminis and Powerbook laptops can boot from Firewire too.

Sory for late answer. I was trying it, (and I try it on two ext FW hd cases), but nothing is hapens. Installation MacOS gone without a hitch, but booting to MacOS has stoped on logo!
I try it many times.
Powerbook v.5.8 - G4/1.67GHz, MOS 3.9 reg.
Asus Prime Zenbook UX32VD, Ubuntu 14.04,
DooGee F5, Android 5.1

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »
Have you tried to reinstall MacOS X again? Have you tried to change the FireWire port?
Is the external HD bus-powered or not? If bus-powered try again with additional power supply.

Booting MacOS X from FireWire is absolutely no problem

P. S. You could also try starting up in safe mode, see link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

You could also try this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201573

Or boot from CD and check the HD with disk utility.

The HD is formatted as "Jounaled"?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:37:55 PM by Carlos »

LarsPPC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 02:20:01 AM »
I think the partnership between this project designers and MorphOS team would be just an ideal solution, here's why:

1. The "newest" notebook able to boot to MorphOS was made in 2005, so MorphOS team needs a new piece of hardware urgently.
2. PowerPC Notebook team's got hardware, but ain't got no software to run on it (like seriously guys, PowerPC based notebook running Debian sounds like a greeeeeeeeeeeeat no profit idea)
3. Both teams make an agreement.
4. PowerPC Notebook team is redesigning the mobo, so it could fit into a Powerbook G4 chassis. (Check my post in chassis thread on the forum)
5. It takes about a year for the MorphOS team to port their OS into this notebook, so in the meantime, PowerPC Notebook team is selling their mobo for Powerbook cases.
6. Both groups search for the manufacturer of a brand new chassis, with MorphOS logo on it, so it could be the genuine first Amiga-like laptop ever.
7. Chassis is ready, MorphOS has been successfully ported, second part of distribution can be started.
8. Pure profit.

What do you think, guys?

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »
I think morphOS is jumping ship to x86 sooner or later ...

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »
I think morphOS is jumping ship to x86 sooner or later ...

You might be right about that. There is a huge discussion about ARM vs. x86 and i have always been a a pro-ARM person (or should i say pro-RISC) but considering current development i actually think x86 might win this one. for awhile it seemed like Apple was jumping over to ARM and Windows getting ported but recently it won't be seeming like that is happening.

It also has been a long time since 3.9 was released  and a port to x86 might just be in the works atm. (my guesses of course)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19