Author Topic: GNU (sans Linux)  (Read 481 times)

Casper

• View Profile
GNU (sans Linux)
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
More specifically, systems based on the GNU Hurd Microkernel, making the OS a full GNU system instead of a GNU/Linux system.
GNU Hurd isn't fully finished yet, But in about a year time, the GNU Hurd went from version 0.5 to 0.8. It looks like the project is gaining steam again. Popular distributions include Debian/GNU Hurd.

According to the GNU/Hurd page, there is a PPC64 implementation, but it's only PPC64el, the big endian implementation is quite outdated and mainly focused on older PPC Mac's. Unfortunatly, the Debian/GNU Hurd OS is only x86 at the moment.

So, should we look into getting a full GNU implementation now that the GNU Hurd is developing faster then ever before?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:07:56 AM by Casper »

Shiunbird

• View Profile
Re: GNU (sans Linux)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »
So, should we look into getting a full GNU implementation now that the GNU Hurd is developing faster then ever before?

I share your enthusiasm, but I still think we need a viable machine today. I don't think PPC64el will do without Altivec. Maybe for the PPC notebook 2.0?

I started doing my tests (recompiling stuff without Altivec) and it is a huge difference!

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:44:13 PM »
I share your enthusiasm, but I still think we need a viable machine today. I don't think PPC64el will do without Altivec. Maybe for the PPC notebook 2.0?

I started doing my tests (recompiling stuff without Altivec) and it is a huge difference!

I guess you're right. By the time we get to the 2.0 mark, the GNU Hurd might even be ready!
But it's an interesting proposition nevertheless.

Shiunbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
Would you know the status of ppc64el with anything like Altivec?
I suppose Altivec is heavily dependent on ppc standard endianness, but do you know of any work in that direction?

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
I have no idea. I'm more of a hardware enthusiast. I know what AltiVec and SIMD are and that they have an impact on performance, but more than that is above my current knowledge.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
More specifically, systems based on the GNU Hurd Microkernel, making the OS a full GNU system instead of a GNU/Linux system.

What is the advantage of GNU Hurd?

I'm positively surprised that only compiler setting make such a big difference these days :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:26:27 PM by Carlos »

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »
What is the advantage of GNU Hurd?

As for now. Not much. But it's the microkernel GNU was designed to run on from the start.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 03:27:07 PM »
Okay. But why should we use it?

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
Okay. But why should we use it?

I think it would be an interesting option. As of now, most Linux-Libre system only run on x86 and the GNU Hurd looks like it will have the same problem. All x86 CPU's of today have propriatary microcode in them and that might severly hamper the GNU project further down the line. It's not a priority, but the more option the better.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the explanation!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19