Author Topic: Casper  (Read 476 times)

Casper

• View Profile
Casper
« on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm Casper.
I live in Gent, Belgium, I'm 20 years old and I study Japanese.

Now that we got that out of the way, how did I find this project?
My family has been Mac users since before my birth, so I largely grew up on using PowerPC Apple devices, which I remember as being the most colorful and diverse period of Apple's Mac lineup.

I was only introduced to Windows later on and I enjoyed using Windows XP, 7 and even 8 to a point. But Windows 10 is starting to frustrate the hell out of me. Flat and boring presentation, the settings are all over the place, broken backwards compatibility at some places, privacy issues, closed wall system.

Problem is, Mac OSX, which is up to this day still my favorite OS has been slowly evolving into the same thing. The Macs definitely were my favorite computers when they were computers that could just get stuff done while even sporting some of my favorite games, but with the switch to Intel, they have become commodity fetished objects, mainly being sported as status symbols.

The Macs of today aren't even that special, building sober and powerful laptops with an excellent trackpad is something most Windows PC makers can pull of now.

in light of that, I've been retracing my computing steps back to the systems I enjoyed.

So, I've been busy slowly refurbishing my old Powerbook G4 in favor of my 13" Macbook Pro (batter needs replacing, maybe a new HD and I'm thinking of running Morph OS on there).

I got interested into PowerPC again after I stumbled on the Amiga community (never grew up on Amiga's since their zenith was before my time) and I was interested to see the platform was still being developed on PowerPC.

The new AmigaOne systems are crazy expensive though (but the still-to-be-fully-announced AmigaOne A1222 looks like it'll be more reasonably priced) so I kept on searching, until, through the forums of AmigaWorld I saw a post linking back to here.

A modern PowerPC laptop is something I'm seriously interested in. Especially if it's open and respects the users rights (maybe want get an FSF approval, you'll get a LOT of attention that way).

I'm no hardware or software developer, but I'm definitely a computer enthusiast. If you ever need something translated from English to Dutch (my native language), I can give it a shot.

Pleased to make your acquaintance.

My current computers are:
Macbook Pro 13" (currently in use)
AMD-based Windows machine (self-built)
Powerbook G4 (currently refurbishing)
Powerbook G3 (currently dead)
Power Mac G4
Mini Mac G4
iMac G3 (X2)

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Casper
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »
Welcome Casper :-)
AFAIK, the website isn't translated to dutch.

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
Thanks Carlos

If I have a good spare moment, I might see to a Dutch translation for the website.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:57:39 PM »
Welcome

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:56:08 PM »
Hello Casper,

thank you for your response :-)
Have you already subscribed our newsletter?
http://www.powerpc-notebook.org/subscribe-powerpc-notebook-newsletter/

if not, do it please.
After that, Roberto will send you a survey for the collaboration :-)

Thanks in advance
Carlos

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »
Hello Carlos

I've already subscribed to the newsletter.
Didn't receive the survey yet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:10:11 PM by Casper »

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:45 PM »
Casper, please be patient :-)

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »