Author Topic: MorphOS  (Read 2854 times)

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MorphOS
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »
I think the partnership between this project designers and MorphOS team would be just an ideal solution, here's why:

1. The "newest" notebook able to boot to MorphOS was made in 2005, so MorphOS team needs a new piece of hardware urgently.
2. PowerPC Notebook team's got hardware, but ain't got no software to run on it (like seriously guys, PowerPC based notebook running Debian sounds like a greeeeeeeeeeeeat no profit idea)
3. Both teams make an agreement.
4. PowerPC Notebook team is redesigning the mobo, so it could fit into a Powerbook G4 chassis. (Check my post in chassis thread on the forum)
5. It takes about a year for the MorphOS team to port their OS into this notebook, so in the meantime, PowerPC Notebook team is selling their mobo for Powerbook cases.
6. Both groups search for the manufacturer of a brand new chassis, with MorphOS logo on it, so it could be the genuine first Amiga-like laptop ever.
7. Chassis is ready, MorphOS has been successfully ported, second part of distribution can be started.
8. Pure profit.

What do you think, guys?

i do not think a MorphOS themed chassis is a bad idea if the MorphOS team would be onboard this train.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
Yes, time will tell. I think also morphOS will go x86. If this will be a wise decision, that's a different kettle of fish.
I also think Apple will jump completely to ARM sooner or later.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
With things progressing it seems Apple will go Intel sooner or later on their mobile devices IMO. I might be wrong tho...

This is just what I am feeling with the news circulating ATM. There has been a lot of new lately about Intel making ARM chips and the way Kaby lake looks, Intel might be late but they are a incredible powerful and have the resources to might be able to take over the mobile market.

Anyway i think we are getting bit off-topic now.

MorphOS is wonderful and i hope they keep a PPC version of the OS

cyrano

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 02:41:43 AM »
No chance of that ever happening. I would rather expect the opposite: Macs with an ARM processor.

Intel is dead. Most of their major strategists/designers jumped ship in the last 2 years. They've got no mobile processor. And the future is mobile...

Apple has invested heavily in their own ARM processors. They've been getting faster and better. And the latest incarnation is fast enough to run a laptop with a 5K screen.

And there's a rumor that OSX-on-ARM is already present in Apple's labs. Doesn't seem unlikely, as similar things happened with the transition from PPC to Intel.

In_Correct

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
Hello again everybody! I am delighted to hear that PowerPC NoteBook Project is going to make the hardware!  8) With aCube? I think that aCube is a company MorphOS is affiliated with.

I am dreading when MorphOS starts x64 processor (and even worse dreading if it is made by Intel) I prefer ARM Processor (Pi Devices) or MIPS processor to keep MorphOS unique and these are favourable processors. Also 68K. (MiniMig)

Also, if MorphOS is going to port to any other computer, especially x64, it must have two things:

1. It really needs to be a computer (such as laptop) sold with MorphOS included with it. Every time I purchase a computer, it already has OS included with it. Later, I "burn" Recovery Media for every computer, and make a backup copy of the Recovery Media. I also have to "Burn" a Installation Media each time MorphOS release new update and also make backup Installation Media, but this media can be installed onto any MorphOS Compatible because MorphOS includes drivers. This means Recovery Media is not necessary with MorphOS. (Some of my computers are so old they have Windows XP, which includes limited drivers, making Recovery Media important. Newer Windows has larger availability of drivers) Because of Windows capability of stripping Bloatware from it, ("adjusting for best performance" and also High Contrast Mode, etc.) I can use Windows without headaches. I have enjoyed installing MorphOS on G4 because I do not like Mac OS X or "OSX" or "MacOS" and have no issue installing MorphOS onto it.

But if MorphOS really switches to X64, which is dominated by Windows, I want a "Blank" computer designed for MorphOS, perhaps included with MorphOS. Windows is included with X64. When you buy a X64, you are also buying a Windows at the same time. so if MorphOS uses X64, I want to buy a X64 and MorphOS at the same time.

2. Please include a full sized keyboard that I enjoy. These HP that I have (also with large screens) added the numeric keypad to the keyboard. Even though I connect external keyboard and external mice I still want it.

And to conclude the topic about ISA and the future of Devices, I regret to say that most devices are mobile device. They are basically video game consoles masquerading as telephones. These usually are ARM devices. Also, they have Pi Devices. Apple Pi, Banana Pi, BlackBerry Pi, BlueBerry Pi, Cherry Pi, Coconut Pi, Key Lime Pi, Lemon Pi, Peach Pi, Pecan Pi, Pumpkin Pi, RaspBerry Pi, Strawberry Rhubarb Pi. The possibilities are endless but BlueBerry Pi sounds excellent for MorphOS.

Now about the topic of MorphOS on PowerPC Laptop. Any new computer (desktops) are designed for AmigaOS. Just as when you buy a X64, you are also buying a Windows. When you are buying a PowerPC, you are buying a AmigaOS.

With PowerPC Laptop Project gives the opportunity for Morph and The Project to work together to produce a high quality wide screen full sized keyboard and MorphOS at the same time.

I would like to see MorphOS support this new PowerPC Laptop. If they are supporting almost anything Apple G4 and G5 (computers meant for OS X) and almost anything SAM or A-EON or aCube or AmigaKit (computers meant for AmigaOS) then there should also be a PowerPC Laptop meant for MorphOS.

MorphOS usually is ported to PowerPC computers. They might as well continue to port to PowerPC compuers and also They might as well add Q Box to Power PC version of MorphOS.

In_Correct

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
Also, it will be nice to have a (PPC) Notebook with MorphOS containing a two button internal mouse (track pad) because MorphOS is extremely dependent on using mice, especially two button mice. Fortrunately MorphOS is not RISC OS which requires clicking the scroll wheel (three button mice) . Perhaps a laptop with more than two buttons next to the track pad would be recommended.

Kaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:50 AM »
MorphOS's problem is it's a primitive OS with only 32-bit addressing, no memory protection and a subpar networking stack - not to mention the lack of security. That being said, it performs well on its hardware and it isn't a terrible OS at all.

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 11:22:36 PM »
I think morphOS is jumping ship to x86 sooner or later ...

Its gone official! Only we dont know when, and will PPC be abandoned with it or parallel structure supported, but yes, MorphOS 4 should be x64 native.

However, at this 3.8 point of time, it is mature, fast and great operating system and there is no reason why shouldnt be used here.

MacPPC Pro books shall die (of envy) :-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19