Software > Others OS

GNU (sans Linux)

(1/2) > >>

Casper:
More specifically, systems based on the GNU Hurd Microkernel, making the OS a full GNU system instead of a GNU/Linux system.
GNU Hurd isn't fully finished yet, But in about a year time, the GNU Hurd went from version 0.5 to 0.8. It looks like the project is gaining steam again. Popular distributions include Debian/GNU Hurd.

According to the GNU/Hurd page, there is a PPC64 implementation, but it's only PPC64el, the big endian implementation is quite outdated and mainly focused on older PPC Mac's. Unfortunatly, the Debian/GNU Hurd OS is only x86 at the moment.

So, should we look into getting a full GNU implementation now that the GNU Hurd is developing faster then ever before?

Shiunbird:

--- Quote from: Casper on May 24, 2016, 11:05:14 AM ---So, should we look into getting a full GNU implementation now that the GNU Hurd is developing faster then ever before?

--- End quote ---

I share your enthusiasm, but I still think we need a viable machine today. I don't think PPC64el will do without Altivec. Maybe for the PPC notebook 2.0?

I started doing my tests (recompiling stuff without Altivec) and it is a huge difference!

Casper:

--- Quote from: Shiunbird on May 25, 2016, 06:33:36 PM ---I share your enthusiasm, but I still think we need a viable machine today. I don't think PPC64el will do without Altivec. Maybe for the PPC notebook 2.0?

I started doing my tests (recompiling stuff without Altivec) and it is a huge difference!

--- End quote ---

I guess you're right. By the time we get to the 2.0 mark, the GNU Hurd might even be ready!
But it's an interesting proposition nevertheless.

Shiunbird:
Would you know the status of ppc64el with anything like Altivec?
I suppose Altivec is heavily dependent on ppc standard endianness, but do you know of any work in that direction?

Casper:
I have no idea. I'm more of a hardware enthusiast. I know what AltiVec and SIMD are and that they have an impact on performance, but more than that is above my current knowledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 
Go to full version