Author Topic: AmigaOS 4  (Read 2548 times)

zzd10h

• View Profile
AmigaOS 4
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:42 AM »
Hello,

AmigaOS4 runs exclusively on PPC computers.

Is Hyperion, owner of AmigaOS 4, or Acube or AEon ( AmigaOne hardware producers of these PPC computer) have been contacted ?

The AmigaOS4 community (500-1000 members) is impatiently awaiting for a notebook.

http://www.amigaos.net/

Thank you.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AmigaOS 4
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »
AOS4 is a commercial OS and i doubt that anything will even be considered until there is atleast an prototype available.

Although! I believe that all Amiga OSes will be ported to this in the future and that many people in all Amiga camps are longing for this machine.

zzd10h

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:44:35 AM »
Good luck for the prototype, then  ;)

davebraco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
Back in the day there were hardware specifications of a potential notebook on this website. Where have they gone?

About an AmigaOS port and before talking prototype, amiga friendly hardware could be discussed with experienced companies such a A-Cube systems ( http://www.acube-systems.biz/ but i'm pretty sure you already know them), A-Eon is a bit focussed on its AmigaOne X5000 for the moment but as Amigaholics they are always open to discuss such serious project.

From what I know about such a project related to AmigaOS 4 is that full hardware documentation is needed, not just a linux driver.

Is there still many interest in a new PPC notebook from linux users? I thought they were focused on X86 and ARM for mobile hardware.

Anyway I'm sure that the Amiga community could be interested in this project.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
PPC is a niche at the moment in all consumer areas and there are a few PPC fanatics like me for example.

I KNOW the Amiga community is more than interested in this machine.

I am going to try and make myself even clearer Hyperion, A-cube and A-eon are companies that are commercial and what I beleive is that they will not start to work on a ghost machine until they know for sure it will be available.

What we have learned in the past in the Amiga community is that there has been alot of talk and no doing, Hyperion spoke some years ago about a very serious project on a laptop but it seems that project was scrapped.

XRAY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
@zzd10h

+1

XRAY/Team RELEC

davebraco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
@Nemesis

Being a commercial company in the Amiga world is bit different... they are fanatic of the platform, concretize projects and try to sell them at a price that will allow them to live and continue to feed the community with new projects. So making money at all cost is not really what they want, but it's sure they do business... but maybe you are right about the fact they need a more concrete project, the fact is that will cost you nothing to contact them (as well as the MorphOS team).

The netbook Hyperion project was a really serious project and was scrapped due to unexpected problems owing to the manufacturer. Hyperion just announced it too early.

feeef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 07:46:06 PM »
PPC is still a niche and it's up to us to make it a popular platform! ;)

Let's make this laptop as cool as we can. Powerful, beautiful, useful!

Raffaele_Megabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
Don't diminish Amiga just due to your objections or prejudices on commercial platforms.

Although Amiga-Like Operating Systems and Amiga Hardware are commercial products it is not impossible to start cooperations.

For example you can ask manufacturers them if they have already experienced problems on how to manufacturing laptop computers (ACube sure did AFAIK as their motherboard SAM 440 has LVDS connector for LCD screens and can be powered by battery).

The experiences of Amiga hardware manufacturers could help speeding more the design project of any new open notebook by suggesting actual makers what was wrong in the past with previous projects in realizing PPC hardware laptops.

Also the most important thing is that the whole Amiga Community and Amiga Manufacturers could help crowdfunding.

Third point, even if this is an Open Source Project, an adequate license not strictly free such as GPL could provide Amiga manufacturers a necessary KnowHow to produce new computers from your project by paying a decent amount of money for the design, so design team will be adequately rewarded.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:05:08 PM by Raffaele_Megabyte »
"Think" Bill Gates. "Think different" Steve Jobs.

Stop blabber thinking and Enjoy computing. You are on Amiga!

davebraco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »
@ Raffaele_Megabyte

I'm also sure that everybody could get benefit from this kind of cooperation.

By the way, happy new year everyone!

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »
@ Raffaele_Megabyte

I'm also sure that everybody could get benefit from this kind of cooperation.

By the way, happy new year everyone!

Thanks! Well with quite few motherboards, AmigaOS 4 is in a need for laptop.

Sadly, there is no definite answer who does what in OS 4 world in terms will they do the port (drivers too)
to expand the OS dessimention, they (Hyperion) expect someone to fund the port and they do it.

However, it can be negotiated (kickstarted if needed) once main hardware is done.

FreddyB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »
@nemesis

As already stated here, A-Eon and A-cube are the companies who keep AmigaOS 4, at least, in new NG hardware. Trevor over at A-Eon could be very interested in something like this. It might actually turn a profit for him as all the different Amiga flavours would be interested in an Amiga laptop.

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
Well lets really hope AOS4 comes to this machine I would be certanly more than happy if it did.  Just wouldnt hold my breath for a while atleast.

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »
@nemesis

As already stated here, A-Eon and A-cube are the companies who keep AmigaOS 4, at least, in new NG hardware. Trevor over at A-Eon could be very interested in something like this. It might actually turn a profit for him as all the different Amiga flavours would be interested in an Amiga laptop.

Yup, but mind that laptops specs kind of outperform the "top" model x5000 (I would call bugfixed and x1000 done proper and with more reasonable price). That is, in my eyes, reason against, but yes, as every Amigan since age of dawn, would love to see MOS/AROS/OS4 native on a laptop!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19