Author Topic: Display?  (Read 2432 times)

rabidz7

• View Profile
Display?
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:21:05 AM »
I recommend using 4:3 display in the notebook. Would that be possible? Also, would it be possible to use a 120Hz display? What about strobing? Could you do a larger, 17" or 18" screen? Can the display be made glossy? If it is possible to do a custom LCD, I would use a 2560x1920, glossy, 120Hz, strobed display. If you can't do a custom screen, I would get the 1440x960 screen that 15" PowerBooks used, remove the matte coat, and run the refresh rate as fast as it can go.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:23:36 AM by rabidz7 »

jjSuper1

• View Profile
Re: Display?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »
Care to elaborate?

4:3
Not sure why you want a square screen.  This could totally be done, however it would likely be more expensive as this is not the main consumer grade mass manufactured display technology currently being produced.  That = more $$
Secondly, while I believe most games have the ability to deal with a square format, most video content is (and always was) wide screen.

120Hz DisplayStrobed Display:
 I will never, even as a gamer, understand the war on motion blur.  If you don't want motion blur, please go back to the 80's when we didn't have motion blur (per se) on our analog video as the frame rate was basically locked at 60 interlaced fps.
Anyhow, if you want the ability to turn this feature on and off, I don't see a reason to not include it (if it is even available in a laptop screen).

2560x1920

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
I prefer 4:3. It's my preference. I like having height over width.

Refresh rates do matter on LCDs. A 120Hz LCD can display up to 120FPS, while a 60Hz LCD can display up to 60FPS. More FPS means that motion will be smoother. I can tell the difference between 90Hz and 60Hz on a LCD, so it is definitely noticeable. There are plenty of true, non-intrepolated, 120Hz LCDs for desktop monitors and some for laptops.

Motion blur is disgusting and ruins the image quality. I want to be able to scroll down a page without text degenerating into a mess. If you like motion blur, turn strobing off, but give people who don't like blur the option to strobe.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:48:17 PM by rabidz7 »

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »
Care to elaborate?

4:3
Not sure why you want a square screen.  This could totally be done, however it would likely be more expensive as this is not the main consumer grade mass manufactured display technology currently being produced.  That = more $$
Secondly, while I believe most games have the ability to deal with a square format, most video content is (and always was) wide screen.

120Hz DisplayStrobed Display:
 I will never, even as a gamer, understand the war on motion blur.  If you don't want motion blur, please go back to the 80's when we didn't have motion blur (per se) on our analog video as the frame rate was basically locked at 60 interlaced fps.
Anyhow, if you want the ability to turn this feature on and off, I don't see a reason to not include it (if it is even available in a laptop screen).

2560x1920
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Go learn about display resolution, screen size, and the list of monitors that display this resolution. 

This is not ok, please be more more friendly in the future.
Even if some dosent see that this resolution is difficult to achieve don't mock them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:36:16 PM by nemesis »

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
I personally would like to see a minimum of 1080 Resolution 15" and a IPS display with good quality. The display for me myself is a very important part of sitting by the computer, Id also prefer a glossy display.

sradonich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
1920x1080 and I'd be happy. Though from the distance from my screen on this PowerBook G4 1280x854 looks pretty nice.

duga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
1920x1080 or 1920x1200 is fine. Preferably not a high glossy screen.

http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2012/06/matte-and-glossy-monitors-clear.html

feeef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »
Happy with 1920x1080 too! It is a standard resolution, perfect for watching /editing movies and for many other things.

amigabill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:19 PM »
I recommend using 4:3 display in the notebook. Would that be possible? Also, would it be possible to use a 120Hz display? What about strobing? Could you do a larger, 17" or 18" screen? Can the display be made glossy? If it is possible to do a custom LCD, I would use a 2560x1920, glossy, 120Hz, strobed display. If you can't do a custom screen, I would get the 1440x960 screen that 15" PowerBooks used, remove the matte coat, and run the refresh rate as fast as it can go.

Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I myself would prefer either 15" or 17" widesreen with a matte finish. (I really hate reflections and glare that make it hard to see the image onscreen)

I'm less concerned with resolution, though with a standard laptop size we should be able to make more options fit, possibly as addon options if it's too expensive to make as option at original purchase of the laptop itself.

I don't know much about refresh rates or what strobed means for this. I did have to disable the "soap opera effect" on my LED HDTV. I don't know if these details affected that or not.

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
At least do not make the screen on this 16:9. If you must have a widescreen, choose a 16:10 panel, such as a 1920x1200 or a 2880x1800 that is used in Retina MacBook Pros.

Raffaele_Megabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »
BTW I think that the laptop must features multiple output video ports and mainly:

1 DVI-I port

DVI-I also called DVI "PLUS", due to its form factor, was present in ancient MacMini PPC also. It features both digital and analogic output so it can be easily transformed into VGA, HDMI and also even S-VHS TV signal 640x480, so the laptop can output also to ancient CRT TV sets or professional TV monitors (it is very versatile sporting universal connection feature)

1 HDMI port for anyday output to any LCD/LED monitor

1 Displayport rev.1.2 connection, so laptop could output its display upto to 5 Monitors connected in cascade link

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech/video-connections.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:58:32 AM by Raffaele_Megabyte »
"Think" Bill Gates. "Think different" Steve Jobs.

Stop blabber thinking and Enjoy computing. You are on Amiga!

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »
I have to disagree with Raffael_Megabyte there. A notebook for me is much about portability and i would rather see one minidisplayport or thunderbolt port (ugh probably expensive) on it to use with an adapter than adding thickness to it.

Raffaele_Megabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
What thickness? How much thick do you think these ports are?  ;D

And on the rear side of laptops there is always lots of void surface that can be used for adding connection ports and other useful thingies.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:33:55 PM by Raffaele_Megabyte »
"Think" Bill Gates. "Think different" Steve Jobs.

Stop blabber thinking and Enjoy computing. You are on Amiga!

nemesis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »

And on the rear side of laptops there is always lots of void surface that can be used for adding connection ports and other useful thingies.  ::)

Arent a more USB ports more useful than DVI ports in that case? or 2 or 3 Mini display ports instead of one DVI port?

rabidz7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »
 :-\

Arent a more USB ports more useful than DVI ports in that case? or 2 or 3 Mini display ports instead of one DVI port?

The laptop should have an internal RAMDAC and VGA/DVI-I port for use with CRTs. External active adapters cannot provide sufficiency bandwidth to drive a good CRT.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19