Author Topic: Real Flash support  (Read 658 times)

donofrio

• View Profile
Real Flash support
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:16:24 AM »
Is someone already working on getting Flash to work properly on PowerPC?

feeef

• View Profile
Re: Real Flash support
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
Adobe Flash is not open source but there are alternatives : http://lightspark.github.io/
I don't know much about it but it could be interesting.

Carlos

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »
I don't like Flash

vox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:10 PM »
Is someone already working on getting Flash to work properly on PowerPC?

Sadly, there is no Flash in PPC Linux due to Adobe own policy (it does exist on x64
but Adobe doesnt want to make it open for cross platform compile).

Gladly, its been abandoned format, slow and CPU demanding and replaced by HTML5.

Adobes policies on their own plugin have been a matter of resistance in the past,
and I am glad You Tube has moved away.
See http://occupyflash.org/

msuchanek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
I don't like flash either.

It was promising platform in the past and provided features that the web did not provide otherwise.

The web has caught up since so with very recent versions of 'major' web browsers you can get pretty much anything flash provides in html5 only.

Unfortunately, many websites have not caught up and still use flash for some major features meaning they will break without flash.

In particular youtube still requires flash to play back old low-res videos AFAICT.

I think the platform was killed by Macromedia not allowing alternative renderers. They tried to exert tight control over the platform which in the end bit them back. At certain point wintel+mac was no longer 99.999% of everything and an alternative renderer that was required for the platform to survive at least as a niche alternative was not there. Today you would not consider flash for new applications unless you use a framework that has it only as one of possible targets because you want to reach users. And most users are 'mobile' these days which means mostly flash-free.

Practically the Adobe blob or the Google build of the same is the only way to render flash content to date. So if you want flash consider x86 emulation.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19